A Bit About Us
We are a group of forward-thinking professionals who have built a progressive business law firm based on a more passionate and personal way of practising law. But what really makes us different? We challenge the legal status quo by constantly questioning traditional practices and pushing ourselves to do better. Our innovative practices include different ways of billing clients, different ways of interacting with clients, different ways of using technology to provide better service, and different roles and responsibilities for legal and non-legal staff.
We promise our clients value instead of billable hours. And we go even further – we guarantee it by letting our clients pay their bills based on what they perceive the value of our services to be.
We believe clients should like their legal team, and we believe that everyone in the firm should like each other. This means we seek out exceptional and affable individuals. We don’t hire assholes.
We seek clients we believe in and we are passionate about the type of work we do. Life is too short to spend time working with people who don’t share our values, or doing things we don’t enjoy.
What do we offer?
We value the contributions of our staff and want the opportunity to lay a foundation on which you can build a successful career. We want to surround ourselves with people who are engaged, honest and confident enough on their own quest to support ours. We are serious about our responsibility to ensure that you develop as a member of the firm and the legal community. We offer the opportunity to gain hands-on experience working closely with our clients, and we make every effort to accommodate you so that you are able to gain experience in the areas that interest you. We encourage you to be involved in all aspects of the firm.
We are a young firm that is growing quickly and there are times where there are holes – there’s a job that needs doing and there’s no one to do it. We appreciate people who are willing, even enthusiastic, to step up and work hard.
Who are we looking for?
We look for positive, driven and committed team players. We encourage curiosity and innovation, and welcome those who don’t fit the traditional law firm mould. Diverse personalities keep our lives exciting and entertaining! We look for people who are comfortable in a group setting, are not afraid to contribute ideas or constructive suggestions for improvement, and who thrive on collaboration (rather than competition). This doesn’t mean we are only seeking extroverts; many of us are ambiverts or introverts who just happen to like each other’s’ company. We also seek people who have a strong work ethic. We like to enjoy ourselves around the office, and are a lot more informal than many other firms, but we know that giving our clients the best value often means busting our asses to get them the best advice and service when they need it. In other words, while we are a culture of fun, we are also a culture of performance.
Above all else, we are passionate. We actively seek clients that share our values so that we can be proud of what our clients are trying to accomplish. We want passionate advocates – people who believe in their work and are proud of what they do for a career.
In summary, this set of directives aligns us to stay focused on what really matters:
Our internal happiness values are what matters to us, and our happiness.
- We Like Each Other – We are friends as well as colleagues and believe that our collective professional success is inextricably tied to our personal relationships.
- We are Proud of Our Brand + Environment – Our brand and work environment reflects who we are as people and professionals and is the foundation for our culture.
- We Do Challenging + Meaningful Work – We do interesting, challenging and meaningful work, at a high level, for clients that we enjoy working with.
- We Buy-In – We all have a vested interest in the firm’s success and are meaningfully involved in managing and growing the firm.
- We Avoid (Social) Hierarchy – We believe that the most effective teams are grounded in mutual respect and collaboration rather than hierarchy and strive to make MT+Co. the least hierarchical law firm ever.
- Happiness is our Top Priority – We prioritize happiness and invest time, money and energy into making MT+Co. a happy and fulfilling place to grow our careers.
Our external brand values are what we stand for.
- Pursuit of Happiness – Happiness is a fundamental value at MT+Co. We support each other in our individual pursuits of happiness, whatever unique form that may take. Our happiness is contagious and helps us deliver the best client experience.
- Authenticity – We understand and embrace who we are as individuals and as a team. We show up consistently in all aspects of our life. Everything we do is genuine and based on our true selves.
- Open-mindedness + Curiosity – “Because we’ve always done it that way” is not an excuse. We are succeeding in breaking free from the stuffy constraints of “old law” precisely because we are open-minded and curious. It isn’t enough to reject the status quo – to lead our industry we need to constantly question conventional opinion and explore better solutions. If you have one, we want to hear it.
- Boldness – We are not afraid to stand out, have strong opinions, and make them known. We speak directly about difficult issues, both to ourselves and to our clients. We look critically at our own business and boldly go where no firm has gone before.
- Continuous Improvement + Evolution – We understand better than anyone that the business of law is evolving. Even where we believe we have the best practices, we acknowledge that we need to constantly think critically about upping our game. The moment we stop evolving is the moment we become just another law firm.\
- We Give a Shit – Need we say more? We give a shit about our communities, our work, our clients, and each other. This is the key component underpinning our business, and reinforces empathy and generosity. It keeps us happy, authentic, curious, bold, and continuously striving to be better.
What to do next!
If you have the table stakes end your application along with a copy of your resume and reference letters (optional) as one single PDF file to email@example.com. Salary is commensurate with experience. We thank all interested applicants who apply however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.