Experienced and responsive legal advice is essential to any successful financing or M&A transaction. Our focused deal team has the background, expertise and depth to conduct transactions at all market levels, from deals involving local businesses to deals between multinational corporations.
We have what it takes to achieve your business goals, from understanding how to maximize the value on the sale of your company, to achieving growth through the acquisition of another enterprise. As your business grows, we can help you realize debt financing from institutional and other lenders; and private placement equity financing from principals, seed capital, venture capital and other strategic investors. This assistance may take the form of negotiating lending transactions or reorganizing capital structure to suit the requirements of potential investors.
MT+Co. has worked on deals in the energy, technology, manufacturing, forestry, mining, agriculture, education, hospitality and retail sectors.
A representative sample of completed transactions is detailed below.
- Credit Facility for Forestry Operations: Acted for borrower in respect of a significant credit facility, secured against the client’s forestry assets
- Loan for Clean Power Project: Assisted a First Nations economic development corporation to secure a $3 million loan from a non-traditional lender to acquire an interest in a clean power project, where most of the security was located on reserve
- Credit Facility for Clean Power Project: Represented a First Nation partner in a $168.5 million non-recourse construction and term project financing for a run-of-river hydroelectric project (see the Kanaka Bar Indian Band story)
- SR&ED Financing: Acted for a local software developer in securing a $1.2M secured and subordinated SRED facility
- Commercial Credit Facility for Commercial Real Estate: Acted for borrowers and guarantors in multiple refinancings of a portfolio of office, industrial and retail properties in British Columbia and Alberta.
Sale + Purchase Transactions
- Acquisition of Interest in Mining Project: Acted for a large royalty and streaming company in the acquisition of a precious metal stream from a mining project for aggregate consideration of $310M
- Asset Purchases in Forest Sector: Acted for the purchaser of four major forest products manufacturing operations in British Columbia for total payment in excess of $210M plus assumption of significant liabilities
- Acquisition of Royalty Option: Assisted purchaser in a $30M private placement and acquisition of an option to acquire a net smelter royalty from a mining project for $100M.
- Share Purchase of Manufacturing Facility: Acted for an international forest products company in the share purchase of a major manufacturing facility in Nova Scotia for $80M.
- Asset Sale of Educational Institution: Acted for the seller of a private, post-secondary school for $42M.
- Asset Purchase in Saskatchewan: Acted for the purchaser of a forestry manufacturing operation in Saskatchewan for $40M plus assumption of environmental and other liabilities.
- Sale of Software Company: Acted for a medium sized software company in a share sale to a major international software company for $30M.
- Share Sale of Software Company: Acted for the seller of an energy intelligence and customer engagement software company for $25M.
- Share Purchase of Ski Hill: Acted for purchaser of an interest in a ski hill operator for $116M.
- Asset Sale of Fitness Centres: Acted for the seller of a number of fitness centres for approximately $10M.
- Asset Purchase of Electricity Generator Facility: Acted for the purchaser of a partnership interest in an electricity generator facility for $10M.
- Share Sale of Forestry Business: Acted for the seller in a share sale transaction for a forestry business in Nova Scotia for $10M.
- Asset Sale of Gas Station/Retail Outlet Locations: Acted for the seller of gas station/ retail outlet locations at an aggregate price of $8M.
- Share Purchase of Construction Company: Acted for the purchaser of a construction and maintenance company for $6M.
- Share Sale of Hotel: Acted for seller in a share transaction regarding a boutique hotel for $6M.
- Asset Sale Solar Project: Acted for seller of a rooftop solar project for $5.5M.
- Share Sale of Web Traffic Company: Acted for purchaser of shares in a web-traffic company for $2M.
- Share Sale of Equipment Supply Company: Acted for seller of a crane supply and maintenance company for $1.7M.
- Share Sale of Private University: Acted for the seller of shares of a company that owned a private university.
- Hybrid Asset and Share Sale of Engineering Company: Acted for seller of a major engineering company with operations is several cities in BC and Alberta involving the reorganization and amalgamation of numerous subsidiaries of the seller.
Reverse Takeover + Plans of Arrangement
- Reverse Takeover: Acted for a Vancouver based software company in a reverse takeover transaction with a TSX Venture Exchange listed company
- Going Public Plan of Arrangement: Acted for a company that owns and operates independent English as a second language schools and is developing a digital ESC curriculum in completing a plan of arrangement pursuant to which the business of the company was reorganized and the company became a reporting issuer
- Reorganization of Venture Capital Company by Plan of Arrangement: Acted for a venture capital company seeking to reorganize its capital structure by way of a plan of arrangement
To discuss what we can help your business achieve, please contact David Allardice for mergers and acquisitions or Peter Eirikson for financing.